Monday, July 25, 2005

The Closer I Get

I have a tendency to be overly sensitive sometimes. It works for me and against me. When it works for me, I am my most compassionate self. Sensitive to the needs of others, in tune with the vibrations of those around me. I find that I can be watching the news and hear about a particular persons' distress and immediately have empathy for what they are going through. But there are times that I wish I weren't so sensitive. Particularly as it relates to receiving criticism or the opinions of others. I am working on being delivered from the stamp of approval from outsiders, but honestly, I ain't there yet. Last night, I was at an event to benefit foster youth, a cause I am passionate about. I spent most of the day with my co-workers setting up, organizing, arranging and planning to help ensure that everything went smoothly. By the time the night was under way, I was feeling pretty confident that the overall message was clear to every guest. My part in the whole evening was but a minor piece in comparison to the cause: to raise funds to keep our agency going. I wrote a poem that we used as a basis for a new campaign. Save our seeds. I gave it the energy and care it deserved because I wanted the people there not to focus on me, the poet, but the words that were given to me. Afterwards I had an elderly lady come to me and tell me that though she loved my words, she felt that she should tell me that I was sending the wrong message with my clothes. I immediately got offended. First of all, I thought I was looking cute. It's Florida, a midsummer night, so I bought a nice spaghetti strap blouse with a skirt to match. I still can't see what was wrong with it. She went on to tell me that she was going to by me a dress for the next time I speak. I smiled graciously and held my peace out of respect for her. But I was vexed for the rest of the night. But I thank God because the closer I get to him, the more I am able to see the changes he has made in me. There was a time when I would have given her a piece of my mind and told her where she could put her dress and her unwanted opinion. But I realize that my gift is not for everyone and not all people will receive me no matter how deep and profound my gift may be. The closer I get to God, the more he makes me see that there are alot of folks out there caught up in religiosity that are looking the part of a "christian", but missing the mark altogether. Some ankle-dress-wearing-bible-toting-shirt-buttoned-up-to-the-neck hypocrites are gonna bust hell wide open with the closemindedness. And why? Because they are paying attention to the messenger as opposed to the message.



Sign my Guestbook!

Read my Guestbook!

No comments: