Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Journal Day 6, Anger Management

If you haven't seen the movie Diary of a Mad Black Woman, I would suggest you do. It's not just for women you know. There are actually a lot of messages in there for men. It also isn't just about a black woman. The lead character, Helen, could have been any woman. I would suggest that you watch it the first time for the sheer entertainment of it. Then watch it again. This time, grab and retain what you can from it. Without giving the story away, it's about a wounded woman that remained silent for far too long. Years of neglect and mistreatment by her husband cause her to ultimately go over the edge. Anger is a funny thing, you know? It will sleep for a long time, hibernating deep in the corners of your heart, mind and soul. You can do your best not to awaken it, but oh baby, once it's up, it's up in the worst way. I'm looking around me now at all of the angry sistas I know. Some of them don't even know they're angry; walking around with grimaces on their faces. You can't miss them. I see my grandmother, who has been angry for as long as I can remember. She's been angry so long, she probably doesn't even know what she is angry about. Come to think of it, anger is more like a virus you pick up somewhere without even knowing it. The incubation period can deceive you into thinking that all is well. But then the symptoms begin to manifest, little by little. It's wide awake now, there is no hiding. You have to deal with it. Treat it like the sickness that it is before you infect someone else. I'm searching my heart today to make certain there isn't any misplaced anger lurking anywhere within me. Anger is like a repellent. It will keep anything good from coming near you. Something sweet could be trying to get close to you, but the minute it gets a whiff of that anger oozing from every pore in your being, it's going to avoid you like the plague. In the movie, Helen's mother gives her the remedy to help manage her anger. One simple word. Forgiveness.
Sign my Guestbook!

Read my Guestbook!

No comments: